See and do
Rovaniemi is the capital of Lapland and a lively university city with some 60 000 inhabitants.
- The Northern center of sport. Competition venue in Santasport is one of the six Olympic Training Centers in Finland. In addition to judo, the center offers professional practice possibilities for example to skiing, gymnastics, weightlifting, skating, ice hockey, volleyball, soccer etc.
- City is compact; all services are within 15min drive
- Local cultural life is extraordinarily rich. You can find plenty of live music from the restaurants and clubs in the city. Rovaniemi hosts also the renowed Lapland Chamber Orchestra, one of the best and well-known classical orhestras in Northern Europe.
- As Rovaniemi is a tourist capital of Lapland, the food culture in the city is expectionally interesting. One can find variety of restaurants with local and global cuisines.
- Clean and fresh nature just outside the door; great possibilities for for example hiking, kayaking, biking and photographing and a unique possibility just to listen and enjoy the silence of Lapland
- During the competition the annual spring run-off takes place in the local rivers, such as Ounasjoki and Kemijoki. It is a phenomenal natural event to see. Just beware the current!
Science centre and museum Arktikum, science centre Pilke and house of culture Korundi have set an offer of 2€ / house for judokas during the Nordic Championships. (Normally prices vary from 8€ to 14€ per house).
See more about the city of Santa Claus: www.visitrovaniemi.fi/